HawgHead Baits Fishing Reports-Tactics-News-Etc.

Fishing Reports focusing in Pennsylvania such as Lake Pinchot and the Susquehanna River. New and old fishing tactics will be discussed. News about our tackle store, including new products stocked.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Susquehanna River - Monday Aug 28

My wife and I did a short float trip Monday to beat the rain, which never came. We floated above Harrisburg in my ODC 1624 on a trip that is 2 1/2 miles long and only took us 3 1/2 hours. The middle of the river over to the West shore along Route 15 was pure mud. The middle to the East shore was much clearer with a nice green tint so we stayed in the middle for most of the trip.

I only landed 9 smallies, all on a 1/4 oz Gray Shad spinnerbait. Biggest were a trio of 16 inchers caught within 200 yards of each other. The rest of the smallies ranged from 10 to 15 inches. I tried tubes, crankbaits and soft jerkbaits but there was too much snot grass floating so I stuck with the spinnerbait. Even with the spinnerbait I was getting tons of snot grass on every cast. I did have one good sized musky totally rip the spinnerbait off my line next to the boat towards the end of the float.

The fish I caught were all in push water, the water just upstream from a ledge. Nothing below ledges or around grass beds.

The river forecast calls for a level of 6.5 feet later in the week which is needed badly to flush this snot grass off the rocks.


Tim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home