HawgHead Baits Fishing Reports-Tactics-News-Etc.

Fishing Reports focusing in Pennsylvania such as Lake Pinchot and the Susquehanna River. New and old fishing tactics will be discussed. News about our tackle store, including new products stocked.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Crappie Fishing At Sayers Spillway 10/16/06

I went up to Williamsport Sunday evening and took my Dad up to the spillway Monday morning at Sayers (Bald Eagle State Park) for Dad's last fishing trip of the year. We started at 9 am and quit at noon.

What a day! We landed 143 crappie! I had 75 and Dad had 68. Most of them were on the smallish side of between 6 and 8 inches long but it was a blast. We were laughing like little school girls as we literally got bit on dang near every cast. We used all kinds of soft plastic crappie baits and all colors. Few baits got ignored. The crappie were in there so thick we could see schools of them bumping into each other as they swam around. And the best part was nobody else was around. We had the whole spillway to ourselves.

At the beginning I had Dad shaking his head as I was up 28 to 7. But he switched colors and came back quick. Once he was up 52 to 50 I had to resort to drastic measures. As Dad would reel up a crappie over the wall, I would take my rod and try to knock the fish off his hook. We had a lot of laughs at that. It ended with me being the "winner" at 75 to 68.

It was great to see Dad laughing and having a ball. We were bundled up pretty good because it was 31 degrees when we started. But once we were catching them, we didn't feel any of the cold morning air!

This spillway is quite a walk from the parking area, a good 3/4 of a mile or so and Dad just can't do it like he used to. On the walk back he had to stop and I got the truck and drove down an "off limits" park road to pick him up. He'll be hurting for a few days but by judging by the smile on his face, I don't think he minded the walk one bit.


Tim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home